Digitization growing every day with the number of users increasing rapidly. The reason why digitization is growing in leaps and bounds is- first its real time and second extremely convenient. After all who thought one could carry their banks, service providers, grocery shops, shopping complexes and so much more in their pockets.
Digitization growing every day with the number of users increasing rapidly. The reason why digitization is growing in leaps and bounds is- first its real time and second extremely convenient. After all who thought one could carry their banks, service providers, grocery shops, shopping complexes and so much more in their pockets.Billions of users globally are switching to digital media exploring the unbound lead-ins by this booming medium to achieve their business objectives.
This is where Digital Marketing comes into the role. Digital marketing is the process to promote products or brands on different digital platforms. Digital marketing specialists are the ones who executed marketing campaigns on different channels of digital media like email, website, mobile, and social media to create awareness, provide information to potential prospects and drive lead conversion. Organizations are today hiring digital marketing specialists and spending in digital marketing techniques to escalate people engagement across boundaries. As digital media is one and only such medium that has the largest reach with real-time and authentic results.
The future is Digital and in the upcoming years, the world will witness it. Organizations around the world including the third world countries are making their online presence stronger. This need to be digital is thus creating a lot of avenues for job seekers.Research says that in the current market scenario, the digital economy is growing manifolds compared to the traditional economy with companies switching to online trading creating a huge number of job opportunities.If one goes by the reports, in the current scenario, India alone has crossed almost billion dollars on online ad spend and the Indian E-commerce Industry is expected to cross 10 crore mark this year itself.
Organizations switching to digital methods are eager to hire qualified digital marketing professionals with necessary training and experience to strengthen their digital presence. And going by different researchers, the demand is much higher than the supply. The demand for digital marketing candidates has increased rapidly over the past 10 years.Although this number comprises of different kinds of Digital Marketing as a Career, the few booming ones are technical & analytics skilled professionals that exceed the available talent pool. Even though several organizations do not post job vacancies for digital marketing yet if you search in Naukri.com over 12.5k jobs are listed regularly and Social Media Marketing alone has over 10k jobs which itself is a much higher number compared to any other career option.
One of the most interesting things about digital marketing is it’s a progressive field. We all know that every upcoming day brings in a new technology for the world to accept. Digital Marketing gives you the opportunity to continuously keep upgrading your skills and achieve higher success in your career.And another interesting part is you can do what you love to do. No mathematical formulas, no rat race, Digital marketing offers you career options of your choice whether you want to code for developing websites or design them or write content for marketing.
Digital Marketing Professionals can begin their career, earning Rs. 4 lacsp.a.depending on the firm they are working in. Whereas, a Head of Digital Marketing can earn Rs. 36Lacs p.a. in mid-size or large organizations. But if you are from IIT/IIM or have proper experience and can get your way through high-growth startups or brands like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Google etc. at a senior or director level, you can also earn approximately. 1 Crorep.a.
Job Market :
Your interest decides on the kind of organization that will be ideal for you as a digital marketing professional
• Digital Marketing Agencies. These agencies vary in their size but cater to clients who need digital assistance for different marketing, sales, branding, and promotional requirements. As per the changing market scenario, these days even the traditional advertising agencies ensure to offer digital services to their clients.
• Organizations with in-house assistance. These days companies also prefer in-house assistance compared to external agencies. Especially companies those are highly active in the digital word and treat it as a strong source of growth. But in this case, professionals require an in-depth knowledge and skill set to maintain their performance.
• Digital Marketing Tool/Platform Company. In this case, you get to work with the biggies of the industry who device different tools and platforms for the digital world, for eg. Google, LinkedIn, Facebook, Adobe etc. This can be considered as the most highly paid job profiles but involves a lot of work and associated learning compared to the above-mentioned job profiles.
• Last but not the least, Independent Work. This industry also gives you the opportunity to opt for freelancing, part-time or work-from-home opportunities.
Job Profile :
Digital Marketing Manager/Director, one of the highest position:
Responsibilities- To take care of the overall digital marketing, conceptualizing strategies to drive traffic and lead conversion, executing digital marketing campaigns and developing a presence on different platforms.
Requirement: 5 to 7 years of experience, Good management and communication skills, Overall knowledge of digital marketing, paid marketing tools, SEO and SMM tools & techniques, digital analytics, development tools, content marketing, and designing.
Responsibilities- Designing, coding and modifying websites making it appealing and user-friendly.
Social Media Executive/Manager :
Responsibility- Keep a track of the latest social media trends, strategy planning, coordinate with different teams like content, designing and client servicing and creating quality content or video etc.
Requirement- Knowledge about all the social media platforms and a creative bent of mind
SEO Executive/Expert :
Responsibility: Promote client website, the ensure client website is all over the web, drive traffic to the website, improving the website Google rankings, ensure that the content on the website is search-friendly, conduct keyword research, research about SEO tools, build sitemaps and submit them etc.
PPC/SEM Expert, one of the most in-demand candidates :
Responsibilities: Create ads with valuable suggestions regarding ad content and graphics, generate a lot of leads for the company, manage PPC keywords, split ad groups, refine landing pages, generate reports etc.
Content Marketer :
Responsibilities: Create original content having all the qualities of going viral, ensure that the content is promoted well through SEO, coordinate with other teams and incorporating their inputs in content, following content trends, etc.
Requirement: Impeccable knowledge of English language, great writing skills, creative bent of mind, good research ability and being well-versed with everything that’s happening in the digital word.
• Analytics Manager
• CRM Manager
• Email Marketing Manager
• E-Commerce Manager
• Digital Agency Account Director
to name a few
To pursue a career in digital marketing, proper certification helps you to have the upper hand. Although your educational qualification isn’t very important initially but in terms of career growth in bigger firms it may help. But one thing that is very important is your communication skill, especially in written English. To become a digital marketer one should be well-versed with the fundamentals of digital marketing. To begin with, you must
• Be aware of different marketing concepts
• Be familiar with basic digital marketing terminology
• Understand web analytics
• Have an overall understanding of the different areas of digital marketing especially the core concepts like- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media Marketing, Pay-Per-Click (PPC), Website Conversion Rate Optimization, Web Analytics, Content Marketing, Mobile Marketing, Email Marketing, and Digital Marketing Strategy.
• Undergo proper certification course to master tools and platforms such as Google Analytics, AdWords, Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.
• After being well-versed with the basic digital marketing skills, you should opt for developing expertise in a particular area in digital marketing to become a marketing specialist in SEO, PPC or Social Media.