Career in Investment Management
Investment management is all about taking care of finances and investing the finances in companies, policies, stocks, insurances etc. It also includes pension funds, retirement planning, life insurance, real estate investment, particularly for individuals.
An investment manager is required to keep himself updated with the latest market trends and advise the client to invest his finances in the right policies, stocks, bonds in accordance with the market and as accordingly reap the benefits and thereafter further invest the benefits. There is a lot of forecasting and money planning which is involved in investment management.
Investment managers play a crucial role in acquisitions and merger deals with other companies. Investment managers need to look into the inflow and outflow of the money being invested. Analyzing the client’s financial status and recommending the best schemes that will ensure and accomplish the right output, etc, are a part of an investment manager’s job.
It is important to keep the client abreast of the risk and returns which are involved in investing money into different financial plans, making them aware of both the upside and downside and ensuring least possible loss is what an investment manager must d0
Job Profile : The person who will be engaged in the work of an Investment Manager has to do the following work:
- He has to have a good idea of how to do deal with people
- He needs to understand the present market conditions
- An investment manager must know how to take care of any issue relating to finances and money related investments.
- As a manager, he must know how to shoulder responsibilities
- A manager must be patient and calm while dealing with a crisis of any nature relating to any customer as well as any deal.
- An investment manager must understand how to maximize profits and minimize losses.
Eligibility: To pursue a career in Investment Management the candidate must have completed their 10+2 in any stream. Thereafter must apply for any course during graduation and thereafter pursue a master’s course or diploma or certificate course in Financial Administration or Finance.
Education Information : Undergraduate courses are pursued through any stream but preferably a degree in economics, business administration or management or even accounts enables the candidate in the said field. For postgraduate courses, one is required to pursue an MBA degree in Financial Administration or Finance after appearing for All India Entrance Exams like CAT, XAT, MAT, etc.
Employment Information: An Investment Manager has no dearth of employment. Employment can be sought in the following places:
- Multi National Companies
- Corporate house
- Financial Institution
- Private sector Industries
- Government industries
- Consulting Services
To be an investment manager, one must have few basic skills. They are as follows:
- It is important to understand money and financial policies
- The person should have excellent communication skills as communication is the key to understanding people’s financial needs.
- He should have good observation power in analyzing the situation
- Good observation skills are required
- An investment manager must be calm, constructive and collected as they have to deal with different types of people and temperaments.
- Must possess excellent financial skills.
- Must be aware of the legalities of the financial schemes as well as other policies which are involved with a company.
- An investment manager must be very cautious when dealing with finances in risky investments and make the client aware of all risks involved in schemes
An investment manager has a flourishing career. Various job opportunities are there in this field.
- A fresher can get a salary approx. Rs.35,000/- to Rs. 1.50,000/- per month.
- An experienced investment manager who has been an intrinsic part of a company can earn in lakhs.
- An individual consultant can charge for various packages as per demands.
COURSE: Top popular Courses to became an investment Manager
- Financial Modeling and Investment Banking Programs
- Financial Risk Manager
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst
- The Certified Financial Planner
- Chartered Financial Analyst
- MBA Finance