Are you the one, Who want a career with glamour and fun? Are you seeking a career which is far away from boring 9 to 5 desk jobs? Willing to expose culture and meet new people? Then you have landed up on a right page. In this article we have guided you with the most wanting and appealing career as “Airhostess /Flight attendant”. We have lined up some important points about “How to become an Airhostess”. In this blog you will get every detail of how one can start a career of an air hostess, related institute and what this wonderful profession will give you. To know more read our complete article below.
Who is Airhostess?
Airhostess also is known as stewardess/steward, cabin crew, cabin attendants or flight attendants in this aviation industry. Heinrich Kubis who was a German was a world first flight attendant in the year 1912 and Ellen Church was world’s first female flight attendant in the year 1930s. Since then this profession has come long way and has taken many forms. The attractiveness of being able to travel to different locations, meet new people, traveling with a business tycoons and celebrities make this career more appealing. In the airline career, airhostess is considered prime designation. No matter how charming and profitable this career looks but it require a lot of hard work.
An airhostess need to maintain their calm and should be very well groomed and well dressed for all the flights. They are supposed to greet customer with smile and make them comfortable with the things required during their travel. They need to maintain their calm in difficult situations and with cranky and irritating passengers. All these things require ad lot of patience and excellent interpersonal skills. On the whole no one can deny the hardship of this profession when it comes to comforting a stressful passenger or ensuring a safety of a passenger, crew or pilot.
How to become an Airhostess?
If you dream of becoming an airhostess then it is easy yet not easy job. It requires a lot of effort and skills to enter in this profession. So if you are planning to enter in this field then you should know nits and grits about this profession. Becoming an Airhostess, is one the jibs that lot many of us dream to have . This is the reason you are reading this article and we at vidhyaa is happy to guide you.
Job Profile Of An Airhostess
The job profile of an air hostess is medium of testing the skills of airhostess. Before the job training is given during the course. Though the demand of the flight may change, the basic job profile of cabin crew carries the following:
- Ensuring the comfort of all the passengers and making them feel relaxed during the whole journey.
- Ensuring flight safety in the form of flight safety instructions.
- Responding to the call of the passengers during the flight.
- Providing on flight meal service
- Conveying message to the pilot and passengers during turbulence.
Responsibilities of an Airhostess
The responsibility of an airhostess is divided in three that is as follows :
On Ground Responsibilities
- Keeping check presence of emergency and medical kit in the airplane.
- Checking all hygiene like assuring toilets are clean.
- Getting boarding passengers, checking their tickets and helping then with luggage.
- Serving meals and beverages to the passengers.
- Selling duty-free things like watches, perfume, headphones etc by taking orders on board.
- Making announcement on the behalf of pilot.
- Checking that all the passengers are comfortable and have fastened their seatbelts
- Assisting the passengers to vacate the plane in case of emergency.
- Keeping a check on the stock of duty-free goods.
- Any lost and found article making the list of that.
- Forming a list of cash and stock left after each flight.
What are skills needed to become an Airhostess?
- A positive attitude.
- Good Physique
- Good leadership skills.
- Should be Calm and Composed
- Sense of responsibility
- Good language command both in Hindi and English.
- Pleasant voice and personality
- Ability to work under stress.
How to become an Airhostess? – Its Eligibility Criteria
To become an airhostess one should start with matching eligibility criteria of airline industry which is :
- Age – Candidates must be minimum 18 years and maximum 26 years.
- Height Requirements – Minimum height of 157.5 centimeters is required with proportionate weight.
- Marital Status – Unmarried or married (depends on airline).
- EyeSight – A normal vision 6/6 or 6/24 is required
- Language – Should be proficient in English and other languages( local language if it is domestic airport)
- Passport – Eligible for an Indian Passport.
- Medical – Should be medically fit
- Complexion- Fair to Clear complexion
- Education – Any graduate degree or 12th pass out in any discipline.
How to become an Airhostess – Courses to pick
If you want to become an airhostess then you have to pick up right course for yourself. There are many diploma and certificate level courses one take can opt to become an airhostess. The courses are well framed seeing the industrial requirements. You can pick up any course form the list mentioned below.
Best Colleges /Institutes to become an Airhostess
Mentioned below is the list of best colleges /institutes that one can choose to become an airhostess. We have listed top colleges that will help you to get closer to your dreams. Make sure you ask every doubt before taking admission in any institute. Look for the authentication and placement procedures.
How to Become an Airhostess – Selection procedure
Every airline company has its own procedure of selection that is through:
- Written Examination – This examination tests consist of reasoning and aptitude.
- Group Discussion – Another step after written examination where your wit, general knowledge and communication skills are tested.
- Interview – Final round is an interview round with an airline company will judge you by personality and your skills you possess in the industry.
After clearing all the rounds candidates will be selected and have to go through training which is about 3 to 6 month depending on the company.
Salary of an Airhostess
When it comes to an airhostess job, there is a difference between the salary scope of international and domestic flights. The domestic airlines goes according to the current salary standards that pay between INR 25,000 to 40,000. With an increase in the experience, students will get paid around 50k to 70k in domestic flights. It varies from airlines to airlines that pay around INR 1 lakh to 2 lakh P/A. Along with amazing salary status some airline offer benefits like medical insurance, retirement plan, in house flight discounts to the employee and their family and other additional discounts. Some top recruiters are:
- Indian Airlines
- Air India
- Jet Airways
- Go Air
- British Airways
- Qantas Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- United Air
- Cathay Pacific
- Mahindra and Mahindra
The growth in this job depends on the experience one has. After 10 years as airhostess, the airline might shift one to other positions like on ground crew or check hostess. There is a tremendous scope in this field, but all you need specific skills and personality. If you think you match for the same then this is the best career for you.