In a Lime Light Film Making: A Career in the film industry after 12th.
Hi Readers! We have come up with our new article on “Career in Film Industry After 12th or Film Making Courses which one can choose“. In this write up we have tried to mention every aspect of filmmaking starting from its meaning to the best courses, colleges in film Making including their eligibility criteria. We have further mentioned the facts about filmmaking and tips on how one can make a film career in this creative field.
“We don’t make movies to make money; we make money to make more movies”
The above-mentioned quote is showing the passion of an artist, a filmmaker who has a vision of creating something extraordinary. It is quoted by Walt Disney who was a legend in the field of animation movie making. He was a filmmaker with an understanding that a character can convey emotion if displayed in a right manner.
Film Making: An Introduction
Filmmaking is the process that involves various features like storytelling, direction, screenplay, cinematography, casting of actors, deciding the budget and location to shoot etc. Many times filmmaking can be opposite to direction but it is a fact that not all directors are filmmakers reason being they may not be involved in other aspects of creating the film. The process of filmmaking is not easy as it takes a lot of passion and creativity. It needs clarity of thoughts to so that character turned out well as planned.
What Is Career In Film Industry After 12th?
When you are seeking a career in film Industry after 12th, one should start with are of interest in this field. As the film world is full of opportunities you can avail for a number of graduate degree and diploma courses as per your interest. It is to be kept in mind that career films and media is not about glamour, name, and fame one need to be very clear about the line of work in this stream. A career in filmmaking involves a lot of slogging and constant re-skilling and retraining. So if you have made up your mind to study film and media directly after 12th, then step ahead and enrol yourself in filmmaking program. Some options can be taken after 12th in the field of filmmaking like drama, direction, production, animation or cinematography. To choose these options one needs to understand where one belongs on screen or off the screen.
What Are The Film Making Courses?
The filmmaking courses are the specialized form of attaining a traditional degree to make a standard career in the media field. These courses develop a skilled side of a person in a particular field one opted. There are many courses available in filmmaking which are divided Into 3 categories:
Undergraduate Degree course– These are the courses opted just after 10+2
Masters Degree Courses – These courses are done to take a specialization in filmmaking.
Diploma or Pg Diploma Courses– These are the short terms course can be taken as a profile building aspect in filmmaking.
It is suggested to take a degree course in filmmaking so that a person can get various jobs aspects. Taking degree course will help in getting many options in this stream.
List Of Film Making Courses In India After 12th
Below mentioned is the list of Career In Film Industry After 12th. The list contains after 12th courses, postgraduate courses, and PG Diploma/ Diploma courses. These courses generally cover internship and sometimes live project to make students more skilled and professional.
Film Making Degree Courses After 12th
Duration – 3 years
- B.Sc. in Film
- BA in journalism and Mass communication(Film Making )
- B.Sc. in cinematography
- B.Sc. in post-production
- B.sc. in cinema
- B.Sc. in sound editing
- Bachelors in Digital Film
- Bachelors in Visual Effect
Diploma /PG Diploma Courses in Film Making
Duration – 1 year
- Diploma In Acting
- Diploma in Camera and lightening Techniques
- Diploma in Post-production
- Diploma in Visual Communication
- PG Diploma in Film and TV Production
- PG Diploma in Creative Documentary
- PG Diploma in Media and Communication
Certificate Courses in Film Making
Duration – 3 to 6 months
- Acting and Presentation
- Camera and Lightening
- Production, direction and TV Journalism
- Screenplay Writing
- Video Editing and Sound Recording
Film Making Master’s Degree Courses After Graduation
Duration – 2 years
- M.sc Film Making
- M.sc. Cinematography
- M.sc. post-production
- M.sc. in sound editing
- M.A film
- M.A T.V
- M.A Radio
- M.sc. In Cinema
List Of Top Film Making Colleges In India
It is a kind of challenge that students and their family faces at the time of selecting filmmaking institutes. Unlike other institutes of arts, business and sciences we cannot rank the film and media institutions. This makes difficult in the selection of schools. Students must beware of false claiming about placements of a various filmmaking institute. So it is suggested to focus on quality education, alumni networks, and quality faculty while choosing your college. There are many colleges with quality education and top-notch placement. These institutions offer many courses in filmmaking giving a satisfaction of bright future ahead. The lists of some top colleges in filmmaking are as follows:
- Film and Television Institute of India
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute
- Asian Academy of Film and TV
- Xavier Institute of Communication
- Film and Television Institute of Tamil Nadu
Eligibility Criteria for courses at Film Making Institutions
- For the graduate course in filmmaking, one need to pass 10+2 with science/arts as the subjects depending on the course one is taking.
- Few institutions conduct its own entrance exam.
- The admission will be strictly on the basis of merit in the qualifying examination and the entrance exam.
- Some schools/institute conducts an interview round as well.
What Is Film Making?
We can define filmmaking as the process of direction and production of films for cinema or television. Films are an important source of media which are not only for entertainment and information but also act as the best form of communication. It is a complete blend of creativity and technicality. They can be in any form like feature films, documentaries, promotional film, TV Commercial music videos etc.
Filmmaking involves much work from pre-production to post-production so one can choose their interests like an actor, director, music director, lyrics writer, scriptwriter, action master, cinematographer, costume designer etc. One can even try the hand in the field of Indian television as there are various opportunities waiting for talented people. After working for the small screens one can get many offers for films and albums.
Bright Career in Film Making After 12th
According to one stat of PhD Chamber of Commerce, Indian cinema will grow 11.5 % by 2020 hence making this field a bright opportunity for young talents. The film industry is a vast field where work in TV film division is in process. On top of that, there are many youtube channels that are taking place. A documentary, advertising, promotional films, video album or video games are also included in filmmaking. Major cities like Mumbai, Chennai, Punjab, New Delhi, and Bangalore have many opportunities for talented people in the area of films, television and theatre.
Other than film Industry, filmmakers are now being desired in other fields as visual media is attracting a large audience. Many businessmen are approaching filmmakers to create an artistic approach for their products that can be called an advertisement. From the education sector to fashion retailers, short films are big hits. Many researchers and academicians also hire filmmakers to documents their research and findings. Further in a new age of vlogging and blogging the creative people are highly in demand which definitely means that career in filmmaking is likely to grow.\
Who Is a Film Maker?
A filmmaker can also be called a director or someone who is in charge of making, leading and developing movie production. He/she is in charge of all the film from casting to checking the script of the movie. They provide a creative and clean edge to the movie. They even look for the aspects of the movie are precise and entertaining. The filmmaker also manages the financial end production.
Use of Software in Filmmaking
While doing a different course in filmmaking, many institutions involve working on software. These soft wares are the part of the course that gives extra benefit in getting jobs. The software is mandatory to learn if one is pursuing editing course. During their program the students will learn:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe premiere (digital film editing)
- Final Cut Pro (digital film editing)
- Adobe after effects (Motion Graphics and Composting)
- Avid Media Composer (Digital Film Editing)
- Final Draft (Script Writing)
Opportunities as a Film Maker
A filmmaker can work in the following sector other than filmmaking, a filmmaker can work with:
- Social Services
- Entrepreneurial Role
- Content Platforms
- Advertising Agencies
- Marketing Film
What Is Short Film
Short films are generally seen as a time-consuming platform. It is a motion picture not long enough to be considered a feature film. It is a kind of original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less including the credits. Many production houses are going for short filmmaking as it keeps a budget under control and easy in marketing. This is also the best way to start your career in filmmaking. Creating a short film requires a lot of steps that includes pre and post production activities creating a script, storyboards, recruiting crews etc.
Web series in Vogue
Another form of film Making is web series which are the series of scripted or non-scripted videos generally in episodic form, released on the internet. Netflix and Amazon Prime is the best example of a web series where you can watch hundreds of episodes online. These web series trends have become popular in India and have bright career opportunities in it. The web episodes are made in many genres and mostly are of 15 to 45 minutes. A career in web series is profitable and this is the reason many renowned actors and actresses can be seen in popular running web series.
Critical Skills Required In Film Making
This field one of the most creative career options. There are certain skills and quality that one should possess and few of them are mentioned below:
- One must have a good eye for details.
- Creative skills to execute ideas.
- Decisive leader and quick problem solver.
- Should have clarity in thoughts and can be able to manage time and situation.
- Should be comfortable in handling new technologies.
Job Profiles In Career In Film Industry After 12th
After pursuing a professional course in Filmmaking, one can set their careers directly or indirectly. Direct career feature film projects whereas indirect careers involve critics, archivists and distributors. One can be any of the following after studying professional course in filmmaking:
- Producer – Producer main job is to make assure if people involved in filmmaking courses are doing their work properly or not. He chooses the story, appoints cast and crew that also includes director. He can even direct the film. These posts usually held by a person who is a graduate in Mass communication from film and Television College.
- Director – He is the producer’s right hand. His job is to execute the idea on which film is being made. All the crew and working of the film comes under him.
- Editor – The film is made in a long sequence. It is the job of an editor to cut short the movie focusing on main scenes so that the film can be entertaining. He has to work closely with director and producer.
- Actor/Actress – Good persona, confidence, mimicry etc are the attributes of a good actor. But a degree in acting helps a lot in refining one’s talent.
- Animator – This is a technical field that requires a lot of creativity. It requires tangible technical skills like making cartoons, commercial, games etc. Fine arts, graphic designs and animation design graduates are perfect for this job.
- Cinematographer – The work of cinematographer is to compile the entire scenes for visual impact. His job is to decide lightening, camera angles etc. This job needs a lot of technicalities.
- Film Archivists – The film can be lost and spoiled. The archivist job is to preserve the film by dealing with photos, maps, information and media.
Earning is Unlimited In Film Making
If you have tremendous talent, this field will feed you with loads of wealth. The work is respected and a person can earn up to Lac a month. The starting salary goes till INR 20k that gradually increases with your experience. People are even earning thousand per hour in the field of film editing.
Filmmaking is an art of bringing an imagination to live. This can be done only when a person has a strong set of mind as this career requires a lot of struggle. Practical exposure is necessary for this field that can be achieved by doing an internship, getting certifications both online and offline, volunteering work with production teams or director. Doing such activities will build up your profile and also getting admission in top filmmaking institution in India.