What Does A Civil Engineer Do - Civil Engineer Salary
Before we choose civil engineer as the career first of all it's very important to understand what does a civil engineer do. What is the basis job responsibilities a civil engineer perform? Please find below few job works, which a civil engineer must do effectively.
- Planning and designing the project that is a civil engineer has to design and plan the things in such a way that they go as per the government norms.
- To analyze the survey reports, maps and other data.
- A Civil Engineer has to work on the construction costs, government regulations, whether the soil or land is adequate and have the strength of foundations, environmental hazards, etc.
- Whether the project will be economically feasible or not for that they need to provide the estimated costs for materials, equipment, labor, etc.
- A Civil Engineer has to deal with various people like clients, architects, government officials, contractors, etc.
- The work not only involves planning and designing but also maintenance and repair of the project.
Civil Engineer Salary In India
Civil Engineer salary depends on the experience they gain over the period of time along with their own caliber to handle the bigger projects. A Civil engineer salary increase with their experience. In starting a fresher civil engineer gets 25, 000-30,000 per month. But as the experience grows civil engineer can earn 85000-1,50,000 per month easily. Civil engineer salary also differs in Govt & private sector. Although there are not enough civil Engg govt jobs in India, civil Engg who able to get govt job in India. They get a good starting salary> the starting salary of govt employee is between 40,000-50,000. Once civil engineer gain experience, they can start their own consultancy. Consultant civil engineer also earns between 2-3 lakh per month. But for that one should have a diversified experience portfolio.
All About a Civil Engineer as a Career
Civil Engineering is another branch of engineering. Which deals with the design, construction, supervision, planning and maintenance of the works like roads, bridges, canals, dams and buildings. With its wide variety of works, Civil Engineering offers various career opportunities to many.
A Civil Engineering has a promising career and has an immense scope where a Civil Engineer can do further specialization. After finishing their B.Tech.in Civil Engineering a candidate can pursue M.Tech. courses where they can specialize in a particular stream within Civil Engineering. After specialization, one can get employed in major government organizations like Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) and RITES Limited etc. as Scientist, Project Engineer or General Manager.
Many major private companies like Larsen and Toubro Limited, Gammon India etc look forward to employing these candidates. They join as Geotechnical Engineer, Structural Engineer or Senior Design Engineer.
What Does A Civil Engineer Do
Civil engineering is a vast area of engineering and one can do specialization in:
Coastal –The work involves protecting the coastal areas against flood and erosion.
Earthquake – The work involves to test the structures and to ensure that they are safe from an earthquake.
Environmental – The work involves finding new ways to protect the environment. They work on water purification, waste water treatment, solid waste treatment, etc.
Structural – The work involves design and builds bridges, towers, flyovers, tunnels, and oil and gas fields in the sea.
Transport –The work involves on building and maintaining roads, canals, highways, rail systems, airports, and ports.
Urban – The work involves designing, constructing and maintaining the roads, water supply channels, sewers, waste management and their disposal, public parks, etc.
Water Resources – The work involves designing and constructing water resources like pipelines, drainage facilities like dams, etc. and canals.
What Qualifications Do You Need To Become A Civil Engineer?
- To make a career as a Civil Engineer, the candidate needs to pass their 10+2 examination in Science stream. They need to do B.Tech /B.E. or Diploma courses. To join these courses they need to give entrance examination as per the university norms. Once they clear the exam, they can choose the college on the merit basis. B tech programs are usually for 3 years.
- M.Sc./M.Tech. program is for 2 years, which can be done by clearing entrance examination. The duration of the integrated M.Tech. courses are 5 years. The post graduate degree is mainly required if a candidate wants to make a career in research or teaching. For management positions, they can do an additional degree.
- A candidate can do a Diploma in Civil Engineering from any recognized polytechnics. The duration of the course is 2-3 years.
- There are several graduate and postgraduate courses available for an interested candidate who wants to pursue a career in Civil Engineering. They are as follows:
- B.E. Civil and Structural Engineering
- B.E. Civil Engineering
- B.Tech. Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- M.E. Civil Engineering
- M.E. Construction Engineering and Management
- M.Tech. Civil Engineering
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering.
- The job prospects in the career of a Civil Engineer are plenty, they can get employed in various sectors like Government, private and public sector industries, research and teaching institutions etc.
- Civil engineers are not only required to maintain, repair existing structures but construct new ones too.
- The demand for a Civil engineer is so high that after finishing their graduation, they can get jobs in road projects, building projects, in consultancy firms, quality testing laboratories, housing societies, railways, military, engineering services, etc
Required Skill To Do A Civil Engineer
There are few skills that are required to become a Civil Engineer. They are as follows:
- A civil engineer must be analytical and practical in his work.
- They must have the ability to solve any problems if any.
- He must have good communication skills.
- Civil engineers must have the ability to work as a team.
- They must have the ability to work under pressure and keep themselves calm during the crisis situation.
- Project management skills, that is, to check the environmental issues, whether the properties of building materials have the load bearing strength, fire resistance, and corrosion etc.is must
- Must have good technical and designing knowledge so that they could conceptualize the structure before implementing.
- They are also required to have good computer software knowledge.
- Good knowledge of safety regulations, government regulations for construction.
Online Distance Learning
There are few institutes where Civil Engineering can be done through Distance learning. They are as follows:
- IIT Chennai
- Institute of Post Graduate Studies and Research, Hyderabad
- Neptune Institute of Management & Technology, New Delhi
How to Be A Civil Engineer:
The eligibility criteria for an admission to study Civil Engineering are as follows:
- To study B.E/B.Tech. in Civil Engineering the candidate needs to pass 10+2 examination or equivalent examination in Science with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- To enroll themselves in B.E/B.Tech programs, the candidates need to pass their entrance examinations. For admission to the IIT’s, the candidates need to go through Joint Entrance Exam (JEE). Other institutions have their own separate entrance exams and other state and national level exams.
- For the postgraduate courses, JNU, New Delhi conducts an All India Combined Entrance Exam for admission in different universities. For admission in the postgraduate program in IITs, candidates need to give entrance examination through GATE.
- The Associate Membership Examination of the Institute of Engineers (AMIE), conducts exam for the working people in the private and public sector, or diploma holders to get a Bachelor's engineering degree through distance education.