Scope of Architecture Engineering, Courses, Jobs & Salary
- Architecture is a science of designing and constructing buildings through proper structural planning and the spaces in between.
- It is a multi-disciplinary profession which covers various fields like spatial design, aesthetics, safety management, material management, etc.
- To construct a building the architects supervises all the phases of construction like functional, safety measures, etc. so as to satisfy the need of its occupants.
- The job of an architect is not only to design and constructing building but it also covers the area of construction works for houses, office buildings, skyscrapers, landscapes, and even entire cities.
- To pursue a career in Architectural Engineering candidate must clear their 10+2 examination in science subjects with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics with minimum passing marks of 50%.
- The degree of B.Arch programme is 5 years of which it also includes an internship, which is usually for one semester has to be done under a practicing architect. The course provides the student's both theoretical and practical knowledge which helps them to develop the ability of functional accuracy.
- The course content architectural design (drawing and painting), acoustics, surveying, and leveling, estimating and costing, methods of construction, materials management, history of architecture, craftsmanship, environmental planning, applied mechanics, structural designing, computer applications etc. There are some colleges which teach architecture-related software packages such as AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max.
- Apart from Degree in Architecture, Diploma in Architecture is also available in some institutes as full time or part time. For part time course the time duration is 7 years of completion.
- An interested candidate can go for post-graduation i.e Master of Architecture (M.Arch.). The duration is of 2 to 3 semester. At this level, the candidate can do specialization in the area of construction management, town planning, interior design, naval architecture, landscape designing, building engineering and management etc.
- One can do Doctorate (Ph.D.) after.Arch or with a B.Arch with 5 years of work experience like professional practice or teaching or research.
After studying Architectural Engineering, one gets several employment opportunities in various fields. They are as follows:
- Architects can work with construction companies as a designer. They need to work as per the clients need, budget, time frame and balance between the appearance and the practicality of the place.
- Some architects can open up their own studio and work independently. This entirely depends upon his skills and experience.
- Most of the architectural jobs are in government organizations such as Public Works Department, the Archaeological Department, Ministry of Defense, National Building Organization, Town and Country Planning Organization, National Institute of Urban Affairs, Departments of Railways, Post and Telegraphs, Public Sector Undertakings, Housing and Urban Development Corporation, National Building Construction Corporation Ltd., etc. While some other organizations or bodies like State Departments, Housing Boards, and Local Bodies for construction works, Builders, Architecture Firms, Consultants, etc. also hire architects.
There are few skills that are required to become an Architectural Engineering. They are as follows :
- An architect should have good drawing skills.
- He should have business ability, social awareness, and legal knowledge.
- He should have good communication skills, powerful observation, imagination, and a creative person.
- He should have the ability to work as a team.
- He must have the leadership and managerial qualities.
- The candidate must be computer literate as he may need to write the specifications, may have to do dimensional drafting, etc. He must have the knowledge of architecture-related software packages such as AutoCAD and 3D Studio Max.
There are Universities who are offering Architectural Engineering through distance learning courses. They are as follows:
- YashwantraoChavan Maharashtra Open University offer B.Arch.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, Delhi in association with Vastu Kala Academy and Institute of Environmental Design and Architecture organize the bachelor degree programme in the area of architecture.
- There are plenty of job opportunities available for an architect does specialization in any segment. There is several internationally acclaimed construction and real estate development companies which provides employment opportunities to candidates who are willing to explore career outside India. The candidate gets an attractive salary packages and other perks.
- Architects who have specialized in urban designing, regional planning, building engineering and management,
- The basic eligibility criteria for a candidate who wish to pursue a career in Architectural Engineering is that, the candidate must clear their 10+2 examination in science subjects with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics with minimum passing marks of 50%.
- To become a qualified architecture a candidate needs to have a 5 years bachelor’s degree in architecture (B.Arch) or Diploma in architecture.
- Besides this, the candidate needs to give National and State level entrance examination to qualify.
- The detailed description of the Entrance Test for an Architecture course is as follows:
- Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE) conducts National level entrance examination.
- All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) conducts the examination on an All India level for its undergraduate programme in Bachelor’s in Architecture and Bachelor’s in Planning for its Govt. and Private Institutes. The examination is on Mathematics, an Aptitude Test and Drawing Test.
- National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) is an online test. Here the drawing exam is conducted by the National Institute of Advanced Studies and Architecture in association with the Council of Architecture (COA). These scores help the Govt. aided schools/colleges of Architecture to judge the suitable applicant. Artistic sensitivity, critical thinking, observation, perception, architectural awareness are the few of the basic criteria which National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) looks for the students.
- In Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), the entrance examination to architecture programmed is through National level. They conduct the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE).
- Private institutes and Architecture colleges in different states conducts their own entrance examination.
Architects construct designs for new projects, modifications and renovations. They use their construction knowledge and drawing skills to design buildings that are functional, safe, sustainable and visually pleasing. They work as per the budget, environmental factor and client’s needs.
The job profile of an architect is as follows:
- They create building designs by using specialist computer-aided design (CAD) applications or detailed drawings by hand.
- Co-coordinating with construction professional about the possibility of potential projects.
- Working on the factors like planning according to the law and order, its environmental impact and as per the budget.
- Architecture is teamwork. They need to work closely with other professionals like building service engineers, construction manager, quantity surveyors and architectural technologists.
- To apply for the permission from government and other legal bodies for constructing buildings.
- They need to write and present reports, making proposals, applications and other contractual papers.
- They need to specify the requirement of their project like choosing the materials, etc.
- They need to adaptive in nature. Plans may change as per client’s choice and circumstances. They have to be calm in nature to resolve any problems that may arise during construction.
- To ensure that the work goes as per the schedule and budget.
- They are the part of the project and team management.
- The architect need to travel regularly to the work site, client meetings and projected locations.
The salary structure in the architectural sector depends upon the candidate’s experience, expertise in the field, area of employment etc.Below is the salary structures of the architectural sector:
- A trainee architect gets a starting salary of approx. Rs. 4,000/- to Rs. 7,000/- per month. After gaining experience the salary can raiseapprox.Rs. 10,000/- to Rs. 20,000/- per month.
- In Government organizations, the salary structure depends upon the rules set by the Government.
- Those who have their own firm earns from thousands to lakhs per month.
- Architectural consultants can charge approx. 4 to 10 percent of the total construction work in apartments and multi-storied builds. In case of independent houses and bungalows, the consultancy fee goes high up to 15 to 20 percent of the total construction wor