Scope of Dairy Technology, Courses, Jobs & Salary
- Dairy industry plays an important role in India’s agriculture-based industry. Dairy technology is a division of engineering which deals with the processing of milk and its products. The study of Dairy technology includes processing, storage, packaging, distribution and transportation of dairy products.
Find below are the Education Information for a career in Dairy Technology:-
• There are several institutes which offer diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Dairy technology. Many universities also offer dairy science as vocational subject at the BSc level. Dairying is also available as a vocational subject for the candidates who has cleared their 10+2 examination.
• To pursue the diploma and degree courses in dairy technology, the candidates need to pass their 10 + 2 examination, with Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English or Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Agriculture.The duration of the diploma course is of two years which includes Indian Dairy Diploma (IDD) and National Dairy Diploma (NDD).
• The candidate do their B.Tech./B.Sc. in Dairy Technology or Dairy Science. The duration of the course is four years.
• After graduation, candidates can go for post-graduation (M.Tech in Dairy Technology/ MSc Dairy Science), or related areas such as animal genetics and breeding, livestock production, Animal biochemistry, Animal bio-technology or in fields of food technology and preservation. The duration of the course is two years.
The course content in Dairy Technology covers three areas like :
• Dairy Engineering
• Dairy Chemistry
• Dairy Bacteriology
There are several graduate and postgraduate courses available for an interested candidate who wants to pursue a career in Dairy Technology. They are as follows:
• B.Sc. Dairy Technology
• B.Tech. Dairy Technology
• M.Sc. Dairy Technology
• M.Sc. Dairy Technology and Agricultural Extension
• M.Tech. Dairy Technology
• Post Graduate Diploma in Dairy and Food Quality Assurance
• Post Graduate Diploma in Dairy Technology
Some of the Institutions for studying Dairy Technology are as follows:
• The National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal and Bangalore
• The Sheth MC College of Dairy Science, Anand
• College of Dairy & Food Science Technology, Udaipur, Rajasthan
• DeshBhagat University, MandiGobindgarh, Punjab
• Indira Gandhi KrishiVishwavidyalaya, Raipur, Chhattisgarh
After studying Dairy Technology, a candidate has lot of scope and opportunities in this field. There are approx. more than 400 dairy plants and dairy equipment manufacturer in the country.
• A fresh graduate in this field gets job in the government and private sector like rural banks, manufacturing firms, cooperatives, milk product processing and dairy farms.
• Many professionals can opt teaching jobs in universities and colleges.
• A Dairy Technologist can do freelancing work like opening up a small-scale milk plants, ice-cream units, creamery products processing.
• They can also become consultants. To become a successful consultant, the candidate should have several years of work experience in Dairy Technology.
• A dairy technologist also get job in a quality control department.
• It has lot of opportunities for those candidates who want to pursue a career as a researcher.
There are several job profiles where a Dairy Technologist work as :
• Dairy Technologist
• Dairy Scientist
• Industry supervisor
• Dairy Medical Officer
There are few skills that are required to become a Dairy Technologist. They are as follows:
• The candidate must be good in science subjects and should have scientific knowledge.
• He/she must be willing to work hard.
• He/she must be committed towards his work.
• He/she must have an enquiring mind and cleanliness.
• They must be prepared to live in remote areas for work purpose i.e. far away from the city.
There are few institutes where Dairy Technology can be done through Online or Distance learning. They are as follows:
Distance Courses in Dairy Technology
• RVD University
• YashwantraoChavan Open University
PG Diploma Courses
• Annamalai University
• National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI)
Certificate / Awareness Courses
• Kota Open University
• RajarshiTandon Open University
M.Sc in Dairy Science
• The Global Open University, Nagaland
• Institute of Distance Education Anand, Gujrat
B.Tech. Dairy Technology
• Online e-courses are available in Agricultural Education Division of ICAR
There are scope and opportunities in the field of Dairy Technology. There are some areas where a Dairy Technologist can specialize. They are as follows:
A graduate in Dairy Technology, get job in Dairy farms and firms that processes dairy products. They can set up their own dairy business. In dairy firms a candidate gets the job of the following:
- Dairy Plant supervisor
- Dairy Plant Manager/Assistant Manager
- Purchase Manager
To pursue a career in Dairy Technology, the candidate must have the following:
• The candidate must clear their 10+2 examinationwith Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English or Physics, chemistry, Biology or Agriculture.
• A candidate gets an admission to a degree course on the basis of an All India Entrance Examination in Physics, Chemistry and Maths of plus 2 levels. OR on the basis of the entrance examination conducted by the concerned universities.
• Veterinary Council of India conducts an 'All India Common Entrance examination' (AICEE) for admission to first year Bachelor of Veterinary Science (BVSc) & Animal Husbandry (AH) degree course
• If a candidate wants to pursue a master’s degree, he need to clear an All India Entrance Examination which is conducted by the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR).
The entrance examinations are held on the month of May each year.
The job responsibilities of a Dairy Technologist are as follows:
• Dairy scientists look after the dairy production of the industry.
• They experiment to check the effects of environmental conditions on the quantity, quality and nutritive value of milk produced.
• They do research on the improvement of dairy breeds, feeding and management of dairy cattle.
• Dairy technologist mainly deals with the technical and quality control of the processing industry.
• They work on the improvement of processing, production, preservation and utilization of milk and milk products.
The salary structure of a Dairy Technologist depends upon the candidate’s educational qualifications, experience, area of employment, companies, etc.
• A fresh graduate in Dairy Technology is recruited as a Trainee and Shift Officer. In a private firm, a fresh skilled engineer can get a salary approx. Rs. 6,000/- to Rs. 12,000/- per month.
• After few years of work experience, the salary goes high up to approx. Rs. 10,000/- to Rs. 15,000/- per month.
• Person designated as a General Manager, get the salary approx. Rs. 20,000/- and up per month.