Scope of Interior Designing, Courses, Jobs & Salary
Interior Designing is an important part of designing. By designing we understand the combination of artistic talents and creativity. Interior designing, is an art of understanding people’s behavior or taste and to create useful space within that area.
Designing can be divided into 4 areas.
- Fashion designing – it mainly concerns with the designing of clothing, textiles, etc.
- Product designing–it mainly concerns with the designing of a particular product like doing an attractive packaging for baby products.
- Graphic designing – it concerns with the designing for websites, logos, movies, signage, etc.
- Interior designing – it concerns with the designing or arrangement of living space like planning of the interiors, organizing, managing. Interior designing can be done at the interiors of rooms at homes, offices, shops, hotels, airports, exhibition halls, TV and film studios, etc.
Over the past few years, specialization in Interior Designing has become very popular. Nowadays people have become more aware of the designing, the layout and placement of their interiors whether for offices or residences. With this, interior designing has come up as a profession for many. There are many interior designers who specialize in a particular area like business design, residential design or landscape designing.
- Interior designing as a specialized subject is taught in the 4 years Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) programme.
- There are several institutes which run part time one year diploma course in Interior Designing with minimum qualification.
- Private institutes’ offers certificate course in interior designing, the qualification required is SSLC.
There are several graduate and postgraduate courses available for an interested candidate who wants to pursue a career in Interior Designing. They are as follows:
- Advance Diploma in Interior Design
- Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) Interior Design
- B.Sc. Interior Design
- Bachelor of Interior Design
- Certificate course in Interior Design
- Computer Aided Interior Design
- Diploma in Interior Design
- Master Diploma in Interior Design (MDID)
- Master of Interior Design
- Post Graduate Diploma in Interior Design
- Professional Program in Interior Design
- Vocational Program in Interior Design
Some of the Institutions for studying Interior Designing are as follows:
- School of Interior Design, Ahmedabad
- J.J. School of Arts, Mumbai
- Academy of Applied Arts, Delhi
- The industry in Interior Designing is a growing industry. Over the few years the field of interior designing has become more specialized and the recruiters give importance to a candidate’s academic and professional background.
- An interior designer gets employment with architects and architectural firms, builders, public works department, hotel and resort chains, hospitals, town planning bureau, regional and metropolitan development works, private consultancies, studios and theaters and exhibition organizers. etc.
- With experience an interior designer can set up their own business. Interior designers can do the interiors of an existing structure or do any renovations work.
There are few skills that are required to become an Interior Designer. They are as follows:
- An interior designer should possess certain skills like artistic, technical interpersonal and management skills.
- Interior designer should have an imaginative quality. He must be creative, self-motivated and a good listener.
- He must have good communication skills so that they could discuss their ideas, requirements to their clients or to the workers like electricians.
- An interior designer should have an excellent technical knowledge about the architectural styles of a building.
- He/she must have the skills of computer-aided design, artworks, building materials, texture and lightings.
- They should be able to work out a budget of a client before starting the work.
- An interior designer should have good eyesight and normal Color vision.
- They should have the ability to accept criticism also.
There are few institutes where Interior Designing can be done through Distance learning. They are as follows:
- Auxilium School of Interior Design
- Sanskruti Correspondence Course of Interior Design, Mumbai
- There is a demand of interior designer in today’s life. These days more and more people are ready to get their interiors done by an experienced interior designer. From employment point of view there has opened various fields in interior designing. Setting up ones owns business is also a very lucrative option in the industry.
- There are many areas where an interior designer can do specialization. Areas like, residential (houses, flats, etc.), workplaces (includes<
- There are several institutes which run interior designing programmes. Students who have completed their 10+2 or graduates are eligible for this course.
- Candidates have to give entrance examination where their drawing and designing skills are evaluated.
- The school of Interior design, CEPT, Ahmedabad has 5 year professional programme in Interior designing.
- Candidates who have passed their 10+2 examination with 55% aggregate in Maths/Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English are eligible for this course.
The job responsibilities of an Interior Designer are as follows:
- While working on certain project, the interior designer need to keep in mind the client’s tastes, needs and budget in mind.
- Interior designers must be aware of the changing trends and keep him updated with the latest trends and styles in the market.
- He has to design the space in best utilized way.
- They need to sketch the layout of the design plans.
- With the designing of the interiors, the designer has to keep in mind and specify the materials and furnishings, such as lighting, furniture, wall finishes, flooring, and plumbing fixtures.
- To create a timeline for the interior design project and to estimate the project costs.
- To place orders for the materials and supervise the installing the design elements
- To visit after the project and ensure client’s satisfaction
- The salary structure of an interior designer depends upon the candidate’s educational qualifications, experience, area of employment, companies, type of design they do and the institutions etc.
- A beginner in this field earns a salary approx. Rs. 20,000/- per month. An experienced interior designer gets a salary approx. Rs. 45,000/- to Rs. 75,000/- per month.
- After few years of experience, they can start up their own business which is more profitable as one can charge as many as they want for the work.