Scope of Anesthesiology, Courses, Jobs & Salary
- Anesthesia is the science of making the body unconscious. Unless properly administered, the body can suffer from a permanent coma or a coronary embolism.
- An anesthesiologist is trained a doctor who is aware of the effects of using anesthesia and is required to administer the anesthesia before the actual surgery and also during the surgery as and when it required as well as post-surgery during the wearing off the anesthesia.
- An anesthesiologist is required to reduce the pain which is beyond unbearable if the surgery or stitching was done without the numbing the area. There are some critical surgeries like those related to the heart and lungs which require a full body anesthesiology.
- The anesthesiologist has the responsibility of ensuring that a patient is given the correct dose of anesthesia so that surgery can be conducted without injuring any of the major organs and also after surgery to check whether the anesthesia is wearing off properly. An anesthesiologist is required to monitor the heart rates as well as the blood pressure, body and blood temperature along with the breathing and brain functions. Vital organs like kidney, brain, and heart are to be taken into consideration while administering anesthesia.
- To take Anesthesiology as a career, the candidate has to complete their 10+2 in Science subject with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their basic subjects. Thereafter complete a basic MBBS degree and apply for M.D. in Anesthesiology for 2 years.
- Anesthesia is divided into three main types being: General, local and regional.
- The general anesthesia is given to make the entire body numb and usually administered in very critical cases. Regional anesthesia involves the numbing of the entire area where the surgery shall be done for example if the organ involved is the appendix then the abdomen region is numbed for the surgery.
- Local anesthesia is administered to the area where the surgery shall take place.
- An anesthesiologist can further specialize in cardiac surgery or neurosurgery depending on interest. As the field of anesthesia keeps developing an anesthesiologist is required to keep updated with the latest developments.
There is ample scope for an anesthesiologist. Without an anesthesiologist, no doctor can proceed and hence anesthesiologists can get employment in the following places:
- Government run hospitals
- Private organizations and clinics like Apollo and Fortis which have an All India reputation in metropolitan cities, cosmopolitan cities, and rural areas
- NGO-run clinics and medical centers
- Military services
- Public sectors such as railways
- As a teacher or professor in a reputed medical college or training institutes
- Own practice
- Laboratories and specialist clinics
To be an anesthesiologist, one must have few basic skills apart from being educationally qualified. These are as follows:
- The person should have a keen interest in people and their well being
- An aspiring anesthesiologist should have excellent observation power.
- The person should have immense patience in his work.
- An anesthesiologist must be open minded
- One should have a keen acumen.
- One should have the stamina to bear long hours as surgeries take a long time and can last for more than a day.
- To pursue a career in Anesthesiology, the candidate must have completed their 10+2 in science, preferably with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as their main subjects and then undergo an entrance exam whether All India or state to get admission in an MBBS course in any MCI (Medical Council of India) recognized medical college.
- After completing the MBBS course from the recognized college or university, one can apply for M.D. in anesthesiology.
An Anesthesiologist deals with the entire human body and every aspect of it. A job of an anesthesiologist involves the following:
- As an anesthesiologist deals with different types of patients immense patience and concentration are very important.
- An anesthesiologist must have a strong willpower to examine various types of patients as each patient has different symptoms.
- As an anesthesiologist is required to conduct tests so as to determine what would be the right anesthetic course.
- An anesthesiologist must be very careful when administering anesthesia as one false step can mean the death of a patient.
Being a sought after job the salary is phenomenal like:
- A fresher can get a salary starting from Rs.20,000/- per month in a government job and the same can be almost Rs.35,000/- per month in the private sector.
- Anesthesiologists with more than 10 years experience are usually appointed as directors and head of the departments and they earn in 12-14 lakh per annum.