• +918800235665

Scope of Assistant District Attorneys, Courses, Jobs and Salary

Assistant District Attorneys are the lawyers who work under the direction of the District Attorney. They assist the District Attorney in their administrative and managerial work. As required by the District Attorney, the Assistant District Attorney conducts the prosecution in court on behalf of the city, state, and central governments. They are the non-gazetted and non-ministerial post.

  • To be an Assistant District Attorney, one should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from any recognized University or Institute. 
  • The candidate can do their Bachelor’s Degree in General Law (BGL) or Bachelor of Law (LLB). They should enroll themselves as an Advocate and should have practice with Bar Council for the minimum period of 2 years. 
  • The person must have a specialization in criminal law which helps them to be an Assistant District Attorney. Participation in mock court competition while studying helps the candidate to understand the judicial process. 
  • For the post of Assistant District Attorney’s 75% of the posts are filled through competitive examination by Public Service Commission (PSC) and the rest 25% candidates get promoted. 
  • For the competitive examination conducted by Public Service Commission the candidate can appear for only that state where they want to practice. After a candidate cleared their written examination they are then selected for an interview. 

To be an Assistant District Attorney, the candidate must possess certain skills, they are as follows:

  • He should be dedicated towards his work with strong will power.
  • He should be intelligent, have problem solving capability.
  • He should have good analytical and research skill to litigate court cases.
  • The candidate must have good communication skill to work with clients, witnesses and to debate in court during the case.
  • He should have good knowledge in civil and criminal law.
  • He should have the ability to work for long hours.
  • He should have patience, ability to organize and execute effective arguments in court.
  • He should be proficient in writing and speaking. 
  • There are few online and distance learning option that is available for the interested candidate who wants to pursue their careers as an Assistant District Attorney. 
  • To pursue a career in Assistant District Attorney, one should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from any recognized University or Institute in India. 
  • If a person is interested to do a course in LLB through Online or Distance Learning then there are few institutes who offer the same. Among them Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning is the main.
  • A person who works as an Assistant District Attorney has more courtroom experience than the other lawyers as he has to deal with several criminal cases. This experience works in favor of their client.
  • A sincere and an efficient Assistant District Attorneys with a minimum of 5 years of work experience can be promoted to the post of Deputy District Attorneys and after 3 years of service as Deputy District Attorney he can become a District Attorney. 

To become an Assistant District Attorney, the candidate should have the following eligibility criteria. They are as follows:

  • The candidate must be a citizen of India.
  • He should have practiced as an Advocate in High Court or District Court for a period of not less than 2 years. 
  • The age limit of the candidate should not be more than 40 years on the date of selection for the general category and for other categories like Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes; Backward Classes the age limit are fixed by the Government from time to time. 

Assistant District Attorneys have various types of responsibilities. They ensure that the work of District Attorneys is done in a proper manner. Some of the major work descriptions of the Assistant District Attorneys are as follows:

  • To manage the prosecutor’s office by maintaining the records and periodic managerial reports
  • To assist the District Attorneys on policy matters and their procedures
  • To represent the District Attorneys in their absence
  • To file charges against criminals and prosecuting them in court as required and to investigate on them in cooperation with other law enforcement
  • To give instructions to law enforcement personnel on issues like, obtaining evidence to prosecute crimes. 
  • To interact with the clients, victims and witnesses on criminal and civil cases
  • Sometimes they have to speak to private and public organizations on matters related to the department. 
  • To assist the District Attorney in preparation and monitoring of the budget, hiring of personnel, etc
  • The salary of an Assistant District Attorney depends upon the government pay scales. 
  • It varies according to the candidate’s experience, his duration of service, location and his hiring procedure. 
Expert Video Get Free Counseling
Inquiry Now Apply Now