How To Become a Computer Engineer in India
- Computers have become an important feature in our daily lives. With the fast growth of Information Technology, the economy in this segment has also gone up fast. Computer Engineering comprises the designing and testing of the components of computer.
- The study of Computer Engineering comprises the elements and techniques of both electrical engineering and computer science. The professionals who deal with the hardware and software systems of the computer are known as Computer Engineers.
- Professionals who deal with the computer equipment are known as computer hardware engineers and those who deals with the programs, procedures and documentation which perform the major work of a computer system are known as software engineers.
- Candidates who are likely to pursue a career in Computer Engineering should have a strong base in physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- To become a Computer Engineer, the candidate needs to complete his B.E./B.Tech. For further education he/she can do their M.E/M.Tech. in Computer Engineering. Diploma course is also available to become a Computer Engineer. In India, there are various universities and institutions who offer Ph.D.programmes in Computer Engineering.
- The selection is done to pursue a course in B.E. /B.Tech is through the passing marks obtained in 10+2 and the Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted by the competent authorities.
- To take admission in IIT’s the candidate need to clear IIT JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) and for some other major institutions are through AIEEE (All India Engineering/Pharmacy/Architecture Entrance Examination) or the examinations in state and national level examination.
- In the Associate Memberships of the Institution of Engineers (AMIE) the admission is done through the Associate Membership Examination of the Institute of Engineers for admission to the BE/BTech in computer engineering. The selection of the programme in ME/ M.Tech.in various engineering colleges and universities like the IITs and NITs is done through GATE (The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering).
- The course duration for B.E./B.Tech in Computer Engineering is of 4 years (8 semesters). Diploma in Computer Engineering is done in 3 years and M.E./M.Tech. are done in 2 years (4 semesters).
- Computer engineering is a booming career option both in India and abroad for its rapid growth in the industry. The main areas of work for a Computer Engineer areSystem study, analysis, design and programming.
- Candidates passing out from good engineering colleges with good marks get absorbed in reputed companies. Software and IT companies are the recruiters of the engineering graduates.
- A computer engineer can get job in non-IT companies like university, research, private and public industries, government departments, business organizations, commercial organizations and the manufacturing sector etc.
- Computer Engineers have lot of options to work in the IT companies in the departments like design, development, assembly, manufacture and maintenance. They can also work as programmers, web developers and E- commerce specialists in the telecommunications, automotive, aerospace, etc. companies.
- There are several national and multi-national computer manufacturing companies, computer hardware system design and development companies, computer networking companies, software development companies, etc. which require computer professionals. A Diploma holder in Computer Engineering can start their own business with very little investment.
Some of the companies who hires Computer Engineers are as follows:
- International Business Machines Corporation
- Toshiba Corporation
- Dell Inc.
- NEC Corporation
- Canon Inc.
- Apple Inc.
- ASUSTEK Computer Inc.
- Acer Inc.
- Lenovo Group Limited
- Sun Microsystem
There are few skills that are required to become Computer Engineer. They are as follows:
- The candidate must have good technological knowledge.
- He/she must have good foundation in mathematics and science.
- The candidate must be familiar with programming and computer hardware/software.
- They must have good analytical skills, an eye for detail so that no mistakes are done and the ability to solve problems.
- He/she must have good communication skills, skills to evaluate and analyze the data, decision making skills.
- They must be able to work in a team.
- They must have problem solving attitude.
- A computer engineer should have a detailed knowledge of the electrical and computer engineering subjects.
There are few Universities where Computer Engineering can be done through Distance learning. They are as follows:
KhatuShyam Institute of Management & Technology, Delhi –
- Computer Diploma in Distance Education
- Computer B.E/B.Tech. in Distance Education
- Computer M.E/M.Tech. in Distance Education
National Institute of Business Studies, PaschimVihar, Delhi –
- Distance Learning Diploma Course in Computer Science Engineering
- Distance Learning Bachelor Course in Computer Science Engineering
- Distance Learning Master Course in Computer Science Engineering
Institute of Management & Technical Studies, Noida, Uttar Pradesh –
- B.Tech. in Computer Science & Engineering Department
- Information Technology
- Annamalai University – PG Diploma in Computer Aided Design of Concrete Structures
- Chaudhary Devi Lal University – Diploma in Computer Science & Technology
- IASE University – Diploma in Computer Science
- IGNOU – Advanced Certificate in Communication & IT Skills
- Lovely Professional University – Diploma & PG Diploma in Computer Science
- Rajasthan Vidyapeeth–Diploma in Computer Science
- Symbiosis University – Short term course in Software
- Computer engineering is a highly demanding job in today’s world. There are plenty of job opportunities available for a computer engineer in government as well as in private sector. A person can take up teaching job after completing their M.E/M.Tech. programme. Research and Development is another career option for a computer engineer. One can also start up their own business.
The eligibility criteria to pursue a career in Computer Engineering, following are the criteria’s:
- The candidate must clear their 10+2 examination or equivalent examination, with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics for BE/B.Tech. in Computer Engineering. They have to clear their entrance examination. The selection is done basis on the candidate’s 10+2 marks and merit in Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted by the competent authorities.
- If the candidate is interested to do a Diploma in Computer Engineering, he/she must clear their 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Interested candidates can pursue their post-graduation i.e. M.E./M.Tech. For this, the candidate needs to clear their B.E./B.Tech. in Computer Engineering.
The job responsibilities of a Computer Engineer include:
- The computer engineer should be hardworking, disciplined, self-confident and committed towards his work.
- They should have the ability to work as a team and good interpersonal and communication skills.
- The computer engineer should have the ability to work with the new technologies which give high performances.
- They must use logical approach towards their work.
- They must be self-reliant and able to work independently.
- Computer engineers have the choice of moving into hardware or software positions or mixing the two positions.
- On any projects, both these engineers usually work together as a team.
The salary structure of a Computer Engineer depends upon the candidate’s educational qualifications, experience, area of employment, companies etc.
- A fresh graduate in computer engineering earns a salary of approx. Rs. 10,000/- to Rs. 25,000/- pre month. After a year or two’s experience it increases to approx. Rs. 50,000/- per month or more.
- A lecturer in computer engineering gets a salary of apporx. Rs. 8,000/- to Rs. 13,500/- plus other allowances.
- Computer Engineers graduated from the best technological universities/colleges like IITs and NITs gets an annual salary package of approx. Rs. 10 lacs.