Food Technology is a branch of food science, which deals with the various production processes like manufacturing and preservation of foods. It also deals with the methods and systems on how to keep the food products safe from the natural problem like bacteria. Food processing industry is a vast field which has various processes such as quality management, primary and secondary processing, preservation, packaging and labeling of various products such as confectionery products, dairy products, fish products, meat & poultry products, fruit & vegetable products; food grains etc. The processed food includes our basic foods, such as wheat and rice products, sugar, oil and pulses etc and the processes for converting them into edible form. With the development of new technologies, research and development have resulted in the production of safe and nutritious food.
Food Technology Eligibility In India
The basic criteria to be eligible for admission to the undergraduate course in Food Technology are as follows:
- The candidate needs to clear their 10+2 examination with science subjects or home science from any recognized board examination.
- There are many colleges or universities which conduct an entrance examination before the admission to the undergraduate course in Food Technology. Examination like JEEP (Joint Entrance Examination Preliminary), CFTRI (Central Food Technological Research Institute Entrance Examination), IICPT (Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology Entrance Examination), AIJEE (All India Joint Entrance Examination), GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test Examination).
- For admission to the undergraduate program, the candidate needs to appear in the JEE (Main) entrance examination. Some of the colleges or universities conduct their own entrance examination.
- For admission to Post Graduate program, the candidate needs to clear their GATE entrance examination after completing their graduation in the same or related field of food technology.
- Candidate having his/her degree in Hotel Management, B.Sc. with Life Science or Home Science are also eligible to get an admission in the Post Graduate program in Food Technology.
- For a candidate who wants to do a Diploma in Food Technology, he needs to appear in JEEP entrance examination after completing their 10+2 examination in science stream.
Food Technology Courses In India
To pursue a degree course in Food Technology, Food Science and Technology, or Food Science and Agriculture, the candidate needs to pass their 10+2 examination in science stream. The duration of the undergraduate degree course is 4 years. The candidate can also choose alternative courses like Biotechnology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry, Chemical/Process Engineering, Nutrition, Pharmaceutical Sciences, etc. A candidate who wants to do post-graduation course must need to complete his graduation in Food technology or other related fields. The courses cover various features like food science, food biotechnology, food analysis, microbiology, food preservation techniques, genetics and food packaging, marketing and advertising, food logistics management, operations management etc.
A candidate, who wants to take up Nutritionist or Dietician as a career, need not require a formal bachelor’s degree. A Certificate or a PG Diploma course in Nutrition or Dietetics will do. Those who want a career in Research and Development, Quality Control and Quality Assurance, the candidate need Master’s Degree or Ph.D. For those, who want to be in Sales& Marketing field, then an MBA will be very helpful for them.
There are several graduate and postgraduate courses available for an interested candidate who wants to pursue a career in Food Technology. They are as follows:
- B.E. Food Technology
- B.Sc. Food Technology
- B.Sc. Food Science and Quality Control
- B.Sc. Food Science, Nutrition and Food Quality Control
- B.Tech. Food Technology
- M.E. Food Technology
- M.Sc. Food Technology
- M.Tech. Food Technology
- Ph.D. Food Technology
Food Technology Colleges In India
Some of the Institutions for studying Food Technology are as follows:
- Central Food Technology and Research Institute, Mysore
- Amity University, Noida
- Bharath University, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Vegetable Research
- Department of Zoology, Delhi University
Career In Food Technology In India
After studying food technology, a candidate has several career options. They are as follows:
- Production Managers/Supervisors: They are responsible for the entire processes in the manufacturing of a product that is from the purchase of raw materials to the production of the final product. The approx. salary of a Production Managers/Supervisors is Rs. 7.03 lacs per annum.
- Food Technology has a wide career scope in government and private sectors with the fast growing industry in India and abroad.
- One can get a job in the food processing industries, research laboratories, hotels, soft drink factories, rice mills, hospitality industry, packaging industries, manufacturing industries and distilleries.
- Candidates who have completed their master’s and Ph.D. degree can work as lecturers in colleges/universities. Food processing companies need persons in departments like Production, Quality Assurance, R&D (Research and Development) etc.
- In the public sector, a candidate can get employed in companies like The Food Corporation of India, Modern Food Corporation, North-Eastern Agricultural Marketing Corporation, etc.
- In the private sector, a candidate can get employed in companies like Amul, Cadbury, Britannia, Metro Diary, Hindustan Lever, Kellogs, Nestle, etc.
- There are several attractive positions which are open to food technologists like Quality Assurance Manager, Laboratory Supervisor, Production Manager and food packaging manager.
- Find below are some of the popular sectors for employment for the Food Technologist.
- Food Manufacturing & Processing (Grains, fruits, vegetables, fish, meat etc.)
- Dairy Firms
- Poultry Firms
- Bakeries & Confectionaries
- Academia & Research Institutes
- Food Packaging
Food Technology Jobs In India
The job responsibilities of a Food Technologist are as follows:
• The food technologists research about new food and beverage products and develop and improve the quality of the products.
• They also develop and improve the processing, packaging, storage, and safety of food as per the government’s industrial norms.
• There is a person who checks the quality of the food, do research and development.
How To Become A Food Technologist?
There are few skills that are required to become a Food Technologist. They are as follows:
• The person must have an interest in health and nutrition.
• The person must be accurate and detail in their work.
• The person must have good knowledge of food biology and food chemistry.
• The person must have the ability to work as a team.
• He/she must have good communication skills.
• They must have good technical and practical skills.
• They must have good planning and organizational skills.