Scope of Industrial Engineering in India
- Industrial engineering is another division of engineering which focuses on the improvement of complex processes like development, improvement, implementation, etc. It tries to eradicate waste of time, money, materials, energy and other resources which has no value.
- The term industrial engineering is formerly applied to manufacturing the products but it has extended in the fields like operations research, systems engineering, quality engineering.
Please find below the education information to become Industrial Engineer:
• For a bachelor’s programme in Industrial Engineering, the candidate need to pass their 10+2 examination in Science stream.
• For admission in 4 years bachelor’s programme the candidates need to give an entrance examination.
• Industrial engineering is also taught as a special subject after a candidate completes their B.E. in mechanical / electrical engineering.
• The duration of the post graduate programme is 2 years which can be done by clearing entrance examination through GATE/CAT.
• After post-graduation, a candidate can pursue Ph.D program in industrial engineering.
There are several graduate and postgraduate courses available for an interested candidate who wants to pursue a career in Industrial Engineering. They are as follows:
• B.E. Industrial and Production Engineering
• B.E. Industrial Engineering
• B.Tech. Industrial and Production Engineering
• B.Tech. Industrial Engineering and Management
• M.E. Industrial Engineering
• M.E. Industrial Materials and Metallurgy
• M.E. Industrial Safety Engineering
• M.E. Quality Engineering and Management
• M.Tech. Computer Integrated Manufacturing
• M.Tech. Industrial and Management Engineering
• M.Tech. Industrial Automation and Robotics
• M.Tech. Industrial Engineering
• M.Tech. Industrial Pollution Control Engineering
• Ph.D. Industrial and Production Engineering
Some of the Institutions for studying Industrial Engineering are as follows:
• Shri Ram College of Engineering and Management (SRCEM), Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
• MVJ College of Engineering, Bangalore, Karnataka
• Institute of Engineering and Rural Technology (IERT), Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
• Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai, Tamil Nadu
• Anna University: College of Engineering, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Industrial Engineering has good career prospective in several areas. They can get jobs in various types of industries. They are as follows:
• A candidate with few years of industrial experience can work as a consultant or specialist. They can join in a private consultancy firms, in various departments like R&D, purchase engineers, or technical sales manager.
• They can get employed in various industries as plant engineers, manufacturing engineers, quality engineers, process engineers and industrial managers industries, business systems analyst or business process engineer; production, process, assets or manufacture engineer; quality control manager; health and safety manager; human resource manager; logistics manager or facilities engineer; project manager; plant supervisor; scheduling and planning manager; operations manager; management consultant; etc. in the public and private sectors.
• The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) holds Engineering Services Examination every year for their appointments in Central Services.
• An Industrial engineer not only gets employed in manufacturing industries or research labs, etc. but they can also be hired in the industries like communications, transportations, banking, pharmaceuticals, finance, travel, semiconductor, e-business, sports, health and information technology.
There are few skills that are required to become Industrial Engineer. They are as follows:
• An industrial engineer must be analytical and practical in his work.
• They must be inquisitive in their work.
• He must have good communication skills.
• Industrial engineers must have the ability to work as a team so that they could contribute their efforts to get a good result as required.
• They must have the ability to solve any problems if any.
• He/she must have the ability to work under pressure and keep themselves calm during crisis situation.
• The person must be dedicated and committed towards his work.
• They must have good knowledge in computers.
There are few institutes where Industrial Engineering can be done through Distance learning. They are as follows:
• Manipal University – M.Tech in Biochemical and M.Tech in Industrial Pollution &Control
The work of an Industrial Engineer has a good prospective in India. They can work in various private and public sectors in various manufacturing industries, etc.
Some of the specialized fields in Industrial Engineering are as follows :
• Network Models – The Network Model is considered as a flexible way of representing the objects and their relationships which are not restricted to form a hierarchy.
The eligibility criteria for admission to study Industrial Engineering are as follows:
• To become a qualified production and industrial engineer, the candidate needs to have a bachelor’s degree. They must pass their 10+2 examination or equivalent examination with good marks in Science subjects. They need to clear their entrance examinations and interviews conducted by various institutes or at state and national level.
• To study post-graduation in Industrial Engineering/Management, the candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in any branch like engineering /technology. There are some institutes where the candidate needs to clear their GATE/CAT examination followed by Group Discussion and Interviews.
• For pursuing Ph.D program in industrial engineering, the person should have a post-graduate degree in industrial engineering. The candidate should have good academic and professional achievements.
The job responsibilities of an Industrial Engineer include:
• To review the schedule of production, actual specifications, flow of work or process to understand the methods and activities in the manufacturing and services of the product.
• They give maximum weightage on the efficiency on the product, its delivery services, manufacturing parts, etc.
• To work on cost analysis and make financial planning.
• To resolve problems and to minimize the cost.
• To design the control systems, production planning, to co-ordinate the activities so that the works goes smoothly.
• To discuss the work with various people like clients for product specifications, vendors for purchases, staff for the status of the work, etc.
- The salary structure of an Industrial Engineer depends upon the candidate’s educational qualifications, experience, area of employment, companies and the institutions etc. It is considered as one of the highly paid job in the engineering sector.
- Initially, a fresh engineering graduate earns a salary approx. Rs. 5,000/- to Rs. 7,000/- per month with allowances. Candidates, who have a management degree in addition to engineering degree, get higher salary. The amount ranges approx. Rs. 10,000/- to Rs. 40,000/- per month.
In the government sector, the salary structure is as below:
- Engineers – approx. Rs. 1,640/- per month
- Junior Engineers – approx. Rs. 2,900/- per month
- Assistant Engineers – approx. Rs. 2,000/- to Rs. 3,500/- per month
- Assistant Executive Engineers – approx. Rs. 2,200/- to Rs. 4,000/- per month
- Executive Engineers – approx. Rs. 3,000/- to Rs. 4,500/- per m