Scope of Naturopathy, Courses, Jobs & Salary
- Naturopathy like Ayurveda and other alternate medicine has received is skepticism as naturopathy believes in using the five natural elements of ether, earth, fire, water and air. In fact, Naturopathy is the combination of various natural procedures combining the five elements and utilizing the processes in the human body.
- Although many of the modern worlds were skeptical on the concept of Naturopathy, have now become believers that this system of medicine actually has shown effectiveness in rare diseases and ailments where modern science has failed to diagnose and cure. Many are now resorting to Naturopathy for the treatment of cancer, diabetes and other terminal diseases where modern sciences have failed.
- As the field of Naturopathy is actually a culmination of many other fields the CCRIMH or the Central Council for Research in Indian Medicine and Homeopathy have distinguished courses being Unani, Naturopathy, Siddha, Yoga and Ayurveda.
- Due to its foundation in nature, many have become takers of the field particularly the foreign world and there has been a surge in the number of doctors who have practiced the science of Naturopathy.
- The concept of naturopathy is embedded in proper eating, sleeping, and living. Early to rise and early to bed is the motto of naturopathy.
- The Naturopathy deals with a medicinal system to combine the mind, soul, and senses into one working organization and to maintain its balance and harmony. The main concept of this type of system is to ensure that all the organs of the body are working in sync with each other. Hence it emphasizes on the basic principle of “Prevention” which is better than the main “Cure”.
- Naturopathy deals with one’s nutrition, exercise, lifestyle and one’s medical history. Naturopathy believes in detoxification of the body and eliminates all impurities by changing one’s diet and lifestyle into a more healthier and positive one.
- To take Naturopathy as a career, the candidate has to complete their 10+2 in Science subject with a minimum of 45% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their basic subjects. Having Sanskrit, as an optional subject, is in fact quite useful. Thereafter completing a bachelor degree in Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences for 5 ½ years. Although there are certain colleges which have their own admission criteria there are who require a bachelor degree or an equivalent.
- There are also a few colleges which are offering diploma courses in Naturopathy.
- Furthermore, a Naturopathic doctor is required to have a proper knowhow of general medicine, physiology, anatomy as well as the bodily functions. Further, dietary, nutrition, as well as psychology, are also an important part of the know-how for a naturopathic doctor.
In a world where traditional practices are finding revival such as Acupuncture and Ayurveda for the well being of the human body, Naturopathy also finds itself reviving and coming back to hospices all over the world.
The prospect of a Naturopathic doctor has increased due to high demand and hence employment can be sought at:
- Health Clinics
- Private organizations in metropolitan cities, cosmopolitan cities and rural areas
- Rehabilitation centers
- Health Centers
- Psychiatric wards
- Recovery care units
- As a teacher or professor in a reputed medical college or training institutes
- Own practice
To be a naturopathic doctor, one must have few basic skills apart from being educationally qualified. These are as follows:
The person should have a keen interest in people and their well being
- An aspiring naturopathic doctor should have excellent observation power.
- The person should have immense patience in his work.
- One should have good verbal and written communication skills.
- One should have good personal skills while dealing with patients.
- One should have motivational skills
- As a naturopathic doctor one is required to understand the mental and emotional health of the patient
- To pursue a career in Naturopathy, the candidate must have completed their 10+2 in science, preferably with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as their main subjects and then pursue a BNYS or Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences. This course is a minimum of 5 and a half years or 6 years duration course which also includes internship.
- Some colleges require a bachelor or equivalent to apply for a course in BNYS.
- One can also apply for a diploma in Naturopathy.
A Naturopathic doctor treats many chronic diseases contrary to belief and as the entire process requires an individualistic and holistic approach.
There are certain aspects which an aspiring naturopathic doctor must keep in mind which are as follows:
- As naturopathic doctor must be aware of the medical history of the patient which includes blood pressure, sugar and cholesterol levels, lifestyle, diet, etc.
- A Naturopath doctor must know the properties of the various foods and must as accordingly chart the diet of the patient.
- A Naturopath doctor must also be aware of a person’s emotional health and genetic history.
- A fresher can earn starting from a pay package of Rs. 8000/- a month and with time and practice several naturopathic doctors are earning about a minimum of Rs.30000 a month.