- Disaster Management or emergency management is a specialized area in which issues ranging from manmade disasters to natural disasters are dealt in such manner that, the affected area or the community may return to normalcy in a quickest possible time period. Disaster management is not only the implementation of process after a disaster has taken place, but the process also remains precautionary. The disaster prone situations and areas are pre identified and accordingly the disaster management professionals work to prevent mishaps or send alerts through the means of mass communication, like TV, Radio, Internet platforms etc.
- Disasters can happen anytime, anywhere. Be it festivities, such as sporting event or a party event or in a quiet jungle or just usual normal situation. The loss of life, property and environment is very demonic. It is here Disaster response teams always get ready and arrive instantly on a single call. Fire fighters, swimming pool trainers, informational analysts, disaster response field teams all are part of Disaster Management. In the case if the disaster has actually taken place, these professionals work to reduce shock phenomenon with provide medical & financial aid, psychological care and engage in community feeding programs.
- The study programs are designed to provide academic learning, training as well as mental preparation. You will learn best practices & techniques in managing an emergency situation, such as evacuating and providing proper consultation to the injured, providing medical aid or financial assistance, working in community kitchen programming, coordinating with co workers etc. Training is provided to enhance your capacity and skills through acting drills (On campus simulation or off campus simulation), in which different team members play their part.
- The main topics in the study program will be pre identifying disaster prone situations or areas through field work as well as use of computer software application GIS (Geographical Information System to map and analyze geographical factors as well as events), risk reduction strategies, disaster analysis, disaster data management, logistics management, relief planning and implementation.
- The career is open to experts of other field, such as computer science, Technology, Mass communication, Management, Administration etc. There are several kind of certifications available at Bachelor, Master’s level. The study programs are:
- Master of Arts Disaster Management
- Master of Science Disaster Management
- Master of Arts (Mass Communication)
- Master of Technology (Disaster Management)
- Master of Technology (Logistics Management)
- Master of Science (Environment Science and Disaster Management
- Master of Philosophy Disaster Management
- Masters in Management Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy (Disaster Management)
- MBA in Disaster Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource
- Post Graduate Diploma in Disaster Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Travel and Tourism
- Certificate Course in Disaster Management
- Certificate course in Geoinformatics
Cost of the course:
- The price of the course at Bachelor level will be about 1,00,000 rupee from a good institute. Diploma or certificate will cost more.
- You should be sound mentally as well as physically.
- You should take appropriate and timely action according to the situation.
- You should be highly organized.
- Since disaster management is a team work, so good interpersonal skills and communication is wanted.
- The idea of the importance of Disaster management staff comes clearly if you see that top level government officials (Civil servants, civil engineers, & police) concerned with administrative duties are always trained for disasters.
- Fire fighters and defense personnel are trained exclusively. Besides general industries rely on consultancy services, however the high risk industries, such as chemicals, fertilizers plant, mining industry, petroleum industry have their own disaste
- The study programs are available after passing 10+2 examinations in any stream.
- For Master’s or MBA degrees, you need to have an aggregate of minimum 50% marks in graduation degree.
There are woks at various levels in different positions to manage the disaster situations. Emergency situation can arise any time any place, so the working hours will be always irregular and working conditions may range from fire fighting to water drowning or a big industrial accident or any other. They act quickly and efficiently in all hours. Also the working hours in research operations will be smoother.
- Social Workers: Most likely, you will be registered under a NGO or under philanthropic community programs. You may be conducting awareness programs, training public about some precautionary steps. You will be collecting funds and other resources for people in need, assisting community kitchen feeding program, providing medical aids etc.
- Environment expert: You will be researching disaster prone areas, providing advisory services, reporting findings in media, creating pressure groups for good balance between Man & Nature. In the government organization you will be a think tank or assume role as Public relations officer or Human resources officer.
- Rehabilitation worker: You will be assisting needy post disaster through providing necessary logistics for their life. The important life services you will be providing are such as tent, medical care, community feeding etc.
- Engineering professionals: You will be increasing awareness in private or public sector about the importance of properly designed buildings that help resist disasters.
- Consultants: Most likely you will be assisting big businesses in planning safety mechanisms in the company in case of fire or natural hazards.
- Teachers/Lecturer/Professor: CBSE has incorporated Disaster Management as a new subject. You will be teaching in schools about possible safety measures and increasing awareness about the importance of Disaster Management. As lecturer or professor you will be teaching in higher institutions, such as colleges, Universities.
- The wages will be different according to your type of work and experience. The starters who are managing the information systems are expected to earn 20,000 rupee to 40,000 rupee monthly, whereas field workers, such as fire fighters, life saviors in water sports will earn anywhere between25,000 rupee to 40,000 rupee per month. Research field scientists will be earning more.
- Disaster management departments of government agencies such as fire departments, drought management departments, law enforcement authorities, relief agencies own disaster management cells in industries in the high-risk fields like chemicals, mining, and petroleum . NGOs and International organizations offer various opportunities for trained disaster management professionals. They are recruited for conducting training and workshops
Banking & Accounts ,Commerce,Finance-And-Insurance-And-Investment,Management