Updated On - March 6th 2021, Updated By - Poonam Tiwari
Choose A Career As Perfusionist In India 2021-22, Eligibility Criteria & Rewards, Course List, Scope
A perfusionist is a person who takes care of the heart and lung machine which is used during heart surgery, particularly in the cases of cardiopulmonary bypass or lung surgery. Many colleges and universities provide Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Diploma courses in the Perfusionist discipline. After building a career as a perfusionist in India, the student can earn around 1-2 lakh PA. A perfusionist is also known as a CCP or a Certified Clinical Perfusionist, is actually a professionally trained health-care worker who is actually a part of a surgical team, particularly in the heart and respiratory surgeries.
There are some surgeries that require the heart’s beat to be stopped or controlled and that can only be done externally and the CCP or the Certified Clinical Perfusionist is required to use the heart and lung machine to keep the blood circulation going throughout the body particularly the brain so that the patient does not suffer from a massive coronary embolism or stroke, and continues to do so until the heart can be revived again where it beats normally on its own. With the growth in technology, it has become vital that a qualified technician is present during such vital surgeries.
Career As Perfusionist In India Places of Employment
A perfusionist can find employment in the following places:
- Individual Cardiac surgeons.
- Government-run hospitals.
- Nursing homes.
- Government sectors like the railways.
- Teaching jobs.
- Military hospitals.
- Private-run hospitals.
- Clinics and the Health Department.
- Medical Colleges.
- Rehabilitation centers.
- Multi-specialty hospitals.
Career As Perfusionist In India Course Eligibility Criteria
- To pursue a career as a Perfusionist, the candidate must have completed their 10+2 in science, preferably with Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Zoology or Botany as their main subjects, and then pursue a Bachelor’s degree in perfusion and then do MSc in Perfusion.
- The students, who have a background in medical courses such as respiratory therapy, nursing can also make their career as a perfusionist by doing PG courses in perfusion.
Skills Required For Career As Perfusionist In India
- Understanding for the respiratory and circulatory systems
- Stressful situation
- Good communication between the healthcare team
- Keep Update themselves
About Career As Perfusionist In India Course
- To be a Perfusionist the candidate can join UG (Undergraduate) & PG (Postgraduate) courses. They can choose degree or diploma courses to make their career as a perfusionist.
- Popular courses are mention below-
- B.Sc. Perfusion Technology
- B.Sc in Cardio Pulmonary Perfusion Care Technology
- P.G. Diploma in Cardiac Pulmonary Perfusion Technology
- Diploma in Perfusion Cardiac Surgery Technician
- Post Graduate Diploma in Perfusion Technology
- Diploma in Perfusion Technology
Candidates who have completed their 10+2 in Science subject with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Botany or Zoology as their basic subjects, they can choose any of the Bachelor courses.
- To start practice as Cardiovascular Perfusion, the candidate also needs to obtain a certificate from the Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion India (BCP- I).
- As a perfusionist, one must undergo training in heart and lung bypass surgeries, neonatal and pediatric patients as well as understand the equipment used in the various surgeries.
- The board provides certification for a period of five years which is subject to renewal upon expiry of the period and also annual review.
- One can also pursue a degree in nursing, medical technology, or even respiratory treatment and thereafter apply for a master's or a post-graduation course in the field of perfusion. One can also apply for a master’s or a Ph.D. in Perfusion if one has a degree in Biology.
Job Profile For Career As Perfusionist In India 2021-22
- Other jobs include checking on the equipment, managing new orders and supplies, and ensuring the proper working of the machines.
- A perfusionist is required to monitor the blood circulation and controls its speed.
- Another job that a perfusionist has is to take care of the temperature of the patient, which is required to be constant
- A perfusionist does have more functions apart from just taking care of the heart and lung machine.
- A perfusionist is required to monitor the levels of oxygen as well as the other gasses which are entering into the blood to avoid possible coagulation or blood clotting.
- A perfusionist must also be careful as to the medications which are to be incorporated along with other blood products as instructed by the doctor in charge
- A perfusionist must take care of the composition of the flowing blood.
- A perfusionist is also required to take care of other machines like the ECMO or the Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation machine particularly in emergency cases where neither heart nor lung nor both is not functioning properly.
Perfusionist Salary in India Per Month
- A government perfusionist can earn from Rs. 35,000 to 65,000 based on their background and experience.
- A privately appointed perfusionist can earn up to Rs 1-2 lakh per month depending on the experience.
A Career As Perfusionist In India F A Qs
Ques: Can a Nurse become a Perfusionist?
Ans: There is variation in entry requirements of Perfusionist, but medical assistants or nurses with a bachelor's degree can enroll in prefusion's science.
Ques: How much money do Perfusionists Make?
Ans: A perfusionist just after completing the course and with only an internship level experience can attain up to INR 12K-15K Per Month, but the one with at least 2 or more than one year of experience can demand around 3-4 lacs per annum.